One of my goals this year is to add more color to my diet. This may seem like a weird thing for a dietitian/chef to say, but sometimes nutrition goes out the door when things get busy. Simple recipes like this smoothie are a great way to pack a lot of nutrition into one meal or snack. There’s plenty of evidence to show that blueberries, walnuts and spinach are good for brain function and they taste great. I added coconut and flax seed for texture and the protein powder is in there to help keep you full, but is totally optional.
Blueberry Walnut Smoothie
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup raw walnut halves
- ¼ cup frozen raspberries
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 ½ cups milk (I used unsweetened soy milk but any kind will do)
- 1 stevia packet (or 1 teaspoon raw honey or pure maple syrup)
- Optional: 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until very smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with extra frozen blueberries and walnut pieces, if desired.