I’m kind of obsessed with lasagna but this one is interesting because of the quinoa and eggplant. The flavors blend so well together and it has a really nice texture. We devoured it for dinner and then also had leftovers for work that I think will keep very well.
Quinoa is a wonderful grain that I also often like to make for breakfast. Eggplants have some unique nutrients; whenever you see that blue/purple color you know that you’re getting the antioxidant anthocyanins. I use lots of herbs in this dish for flavoring. You can definitely use fresh if you prefer. This No Noodle Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna with Quinoa and Spinach saved me all week with leftovers that were perfect for busy work days.
No Noodle Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna with Quinoa and Spinach
- 2 eggplants
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 14-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice off top and bottom parts of eggplant and cut into ¼-inch rounds. Arrange on baking sheet then brush both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper then roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Bring quinoa and 1¾ cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Transfer quinoa to a large bowl and add spinach. Blend together, cover and let rest for an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs and add oregano, basil and parsley. Add egg mixture to quinoa spinach mixture and blend well.
- Blend half the mozzarella and half the Parmesan into the ricotta.
- In a 9-inch-by-13-inch glass baking pan, spread 1 cup of marinara sauce evenly. Layer half the eggplant slices in the bottom of the pan (about 6 large pieces). Spread quinoa mixture evenly on top. Dollop ricotta mixture on top of the quinoa mixture so it is spaced evenly around the casserole. Add another layer of eggplant on top. Cover with remaining marinara sauce then remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Serve hot.