This recipe appeared with “Savor: Leeks” in the September/October 2017 issue of Food & Nutrition Magazine.
Serving size: 1 cup (230 grams)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 8 small russet potatoes
- 6 leeks, white and light green parts only
- 4 cups (950 milliliters) unsalted chicken stock
- 1 dried whole bay leaf
- 2½ tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) half-and-half
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- Wash and peel potatoes.
- Make 2 cross-sectional cuts lengthwise down the leeks, then wash them.
- Dice leeks into 1-inch pieces and add them with potatoes, chicken stock and bay leaf to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cover. Let simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, until potatoes are very tender.
- Remove pot from heat and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Working in batches, use a high-powered blender or immersion blender to blend ingredients.
- Return blended ingredients to pot, add cheese, half-and-half, sage and salt.
- Stir to combine and serve warm.
Nutrition per serving: CALORIES 202; TOTAL FAT 4g; SAT. FAT 2g; CHOL. 11mg; SODIUM 227mg; CARB. 37g; FIBER 3g; SUGARS 5g; PROTEIN 7g; POTASSIUM 649mg; PHOSPHORUS 140mg