Synopsis of the App
Spokin is a food allergy resource app that covers the different stages of life and situations that come with living with food allergies.
Price and Platform: Free. Apple, desktop (coming soon to Android)
RDN Score: 4/5
- Clean, easy-to-use design.
- Create a profile as a person with food allergies, parent or caregiver, professional working with people with food allergies, or some combination of these.
- Screen content using an extensive allergen list including the major eight plus gluten, fruits, vegetables, seeds, meats, legumes and chocolate. There’s also space to add your own.
- Customize the news feed with your personal allergen needs and monitor food recalls and warnings with ease.
- Search for food allergy guides by recipe, city, restaurant or airline.
- Explore and review current treatments, therapies and resources for different ages and stages of life starting with advice for the newly diagnosed, daily living and travel as well as navigating major lifestyle changes such as going off to college.
- Easily read restaurant and product reviews and share product recommendations with ease right from the app’s news feed.
- Contribute written reviews and mark off positives such as clear protocol, dedicated prep area, proactive waitstaff and negatives like high risk of cross contamination, confusing menu, untrained or unhelpful staff or a disorganized kitchen.
- Available only on iOS devices at the time of this review — noting Android is coming soon.
- Includes crowdsourced content, which should be used with caution and with input from a healthcare professional or food allergy expert when possible.
- Must enter an email address and create a profile to use the app.
Bottom Line: Spokin is ideal for anyone on the move with food allergies. Though you have to use caution with any crowdsourced information, the app is an easy way to discover new allergy-friendly foods and places to eat.