This spiced carrot and lentil soup will warm you up on the coldest of winter days! Its creamy carrot and lentil base is spiced with ginger, cumin, turmeric and cilantro and pureed with rich, creamy coconut milk. You can make it on the stove-top or in a multicooker. Either way, this soup is absolutely luscious and super easy to make.
Spiced Carrot and Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium yellow or white onion or 1 medium shallot, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ pounds carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds (about 4 cups)
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup dried red or brown lentils
- 4 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 15-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Zest and juice of 2 medium limes
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven to medium. Add the onion or shallot and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly soft. Add the carrots and sauté an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until the carrots are slightly soft.
Stir in the ginger, garlic, cumin, turmeric, salt, black pepper and cayenne (if using) for 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant.
Stir in the lentils, then add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
Add the coconut milk and cilantro and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until very smooth. Stir in the lime zest and juice. Stir in honey (if using). Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
Serve with freshly cracked black pepper, if desired.