Creamy, sweetened banana pudding topped with caramelized bananas and pecans can be served warm or cool.
SERVING SIZE: ½ cup pudding, 3 tablespoons bananas and 1 tablespoon pecans (570 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
- 3 medium bananas, divided
- 1½ cups (360 milliliters) 2% milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- In a medium bowl, mash 2 bananas with a fork until a thick puree is achieved.
- Whisk ½ cup milk, maple syrup and egg into bananas until combined.
- Add cornstarch, ¾ teaspoon cinnamon and salt; whisk for approximately 2 minutes.
- Place a medium pan on stove over medium heat and add the banana mixture.
- Slowly stir in remaining 1 cup milk and continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until the pudding begins to set.
- When the back of the spoon is coated with pudding, remove from heat and continue to stir for 30 seconds.
- Set aside and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice remaining banana into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
- To a medium nonstick skillet, add chopped pecans and toast over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and place in a small bowl.
- Add butter to skillet and turn heat to low.
- Once butter begins to melt, stir in sliced bananas and cook over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently with a spatula.
- Once caramelization occurs (bananas will appear brown and shiny), remove from heat and stir in ¼ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Assemble mini pudding cups by placing ½ cup pudding in the bottom of 4 small containers.
- Top each with 3 tablespoons bananas and 1 tablespoon pecans.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 225 calories, 10g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 57mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 18g sugar, 6g protein, 411mg potassium, 141mg phosphorus