Synopsis of the App: NutriCalc for RDs is a total parental nutrition (TPN) and tube feeding calculation app for clinical dietitians.
Price and Platform: $5.99. Apple only.
Summary: Created by a team of registered dietitians, NutriCalc for RDs can be used to calculate quick nutrition needs, instant tube feeds and parental nutrition.
RDN Score: 5/5
- Created by and for registered dietitians in clinical practice.
- Simple, no-frills design.
- With just three screens to navigate, the app can be used to calculate quick nutrition needs, instant tube feeds and parental nutrition.
- Quickly determine common calculations including Body Mass Index, Ideal Body Weight and calorie and protein needs.
- Calculate calories using the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation and adjust as needed for a ventilator with a built-in feature.
- Adjust for a stress factor of 1.0 – 1.8 or protein multiplier from 0.8 – 2.5 in one tap.
- Select from a number of preloaded tube feed formulas.
- Calculate parental nutrition needs based on weight and adjust the volume for a 2-in-1 or 3-in-1method. Easily adjust dextrose, amino acids and lipid emulsion type as needed.
- Find a flaw? Have suggestions for new formulas? Send feedback directly to the creators.
- Previously released on Android but no longer available, the app could only be downloaded to iOS devices at the time of this review.
- App hasn’t been updated in more than 18 months, which can sometimes be a concern with compatibility on newer devices. However, the simplicity of this app likely makes frequent updates less of a concern.
Bottom Line: Simple by design, Nutricalc for RDs can help practitioners in clinical settings save time and effort in nutrition support.