Based on the traditional Indonesian dish ayam panggang bumbu besengek, this modified version uses a few different spices and bite-sized pieces of boneless skinless chicken breast to reduce cooking time.
SERVING SIZE: ¾ cup chicken, ¾ cup rice, scallions and nuts garnish (344 grams)
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons (24 milliliters) canola oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemongrass paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¾ cups (400 milliliters) lite coconut milk
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- Cook rice per package instructions.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon canola oil and chicken.
- Cook chicken on one side for 4 to 5 minutes, then turn each piece over and cook another 4 minutes until completely cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- Turn heat to medium-low and transfer chicken to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Add shallots, ginger, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, salt, black pepper, lemongrass paste and garlic and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, just enough to sauté the garlic without burning it.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a slow simmer. Add chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- To serve, scoop ¾ cup rice and ¾ cup chicken mixture onto a plate or bowl. Divide green onions and macadamia nuts evenly into 4 portions to garnish. Serve warm.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 471 calories, 19g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 1g sugar, 29g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus