A layer of creamy cornmeal is topped with chickpeas, corn and hints of heat and smoke from spices and fire-roasted tomatoes.
SERVING SIZE: 8 ounces (251 grams)
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 32 minutes
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2½ teaspoons (13 milliliters) olive oil, divided
- 1 15-ounce can corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can fire-roasted green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons (11 milliliters) low-sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- In a 3-quart saucepot over medium high heat, add 5 cups water and salt. Whisk in cornmeal. Bring to a simmer, whisk vigorously and cover with lid partially ajar to vent steam. Reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk periodically and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Coat a 9-by-12-inch baking dish with ½ teaspoon oil.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add corn and let heat for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 teaspoons olive oil and cook until brown on one side, about 6 minutes.
- In the same skillet, add chickpeas, tomatoes, green chilies, garlic, tamari, oregano, paprika and cayenne. Stir and let simmer until liquid reduces, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour cornmeal into the baking dish and spread into an even layer, then top evenly with the chickpea mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until warmed through.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 196 calories, 3g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, 5g sugar, 6g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus