Iceberg lettuce is braised in vegetable stock and paired with beans to create a plant-based meal.
SERVING SIZE: ¼ head of lettuce, plus ⅓ cup beans with liquid (318 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed and quartered
- ⅔ cup (250 milliliters) unsalted vegetable broth
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (10 milliliters) lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until light golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Add lettuce cut side down and allow to brown undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Turn the lettuce onto the second cut side and add broth, beans, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Immediately cover, decrease heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and mix carefully. Garnish with parsley.
Cooking note: Serve with crusty bread to soak up the broth.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 142 calories, 5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 417mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 6g sugar, 6g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus