Sometimes I’ll come across a recipe that I love so much that I make it like, three or four times in a single week after I discover it. These Lemony Roasted Green Beans with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts are one of those recipes. The first time I made it, I knew I had a winner, but I needed to make a few tweaks to make it even better. The beans were a little overcooked, and there was far too much lemon. The second time, I had made the changes I thought I needed to make and the beans came out perfectly. Then I needed to make them again because they were just that good (and because my CSA gave me more beans).
I had never tried roasting green beans before this recipe. I had only ever stir-fried or sauteed them. However, now that I know how easy it is to get perfect results when roasting green beans, I don’t think I’ll ever go back.
Lemony Roasted Green Beans with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted, skinned, and coarsely chopped
- Move oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450°F. Toss green beans with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the sugar, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to cook for 8 more minutes, stirring beans halfway through. Beans should be spotty brown when done.
- While beans are cooking, stir together garlic, lemon zest and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium, heatproof bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute until bubbling. Let sit for a minute, then whisk in the lemon juice, mustard, ⅛ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- Add cooked beans and chives to the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat. Divide beans evenly among 2 to 4 dishes, and top each with goat cheese and hazelnuts.