A vegan adaptation of gado-gado, a popular Indonesian dish, features a creamy peanut dressing, tempeh and a colorful array of cooked and fresh vegetables.
SERVING SIZE: 1½ cups vegetables and tempeh plus ⅓ cup sauce (305 grams)
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon (16 milliliters) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (59 milliliters) lite canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons (28 milliliters) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) lime juice
- 1 medium white potato, chopped
- 1¼ cup green beans
- 1 bunch spinach leaves
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) canola oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ medium English cucumber, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Add peanut butter, garlic, Sriracha, maple syrup, coconut milk, soy sauce, lime juice and 2 tablespoons water to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. If desired, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time to thin the consistency.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add potatoes to boiling water and cook until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a colander to remove excess water and then set aside.
- To the cooking water, add green beans and boil 2 to 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove beans from the water and set aside.
- Add spinach to cooking water and cook until wilted, about 1 to 3 minutes. Drain into colander and set aside.
- Cut tempeh into 8 squares, then cut each square diagonally into a triangle. Turn each triangle on its side and slice in half to make 2 thinner triangle pieces.
- To a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, add canola oil. Add tempeh and cook 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Flip each piece and cook another 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Arrange tempeh, cooked vegetables and fresh carrots, radishes and cucumber on a serving platter, drizzle with peanut sauce and garnish with cilantro. To serve, evenly distribute to four bowls or plates.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 448 calories, 28g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 535mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 10g sugar, 23g protein, NA potassium, NA phosphorus