If you’re from the south, live in the south, or have indulged in southern cuisine, then you know how central okra is to eating in the south. It’s typically eaten battered and fried but we all know that eating lots of fried stuff makes us feel like crap, makes us gain weight, and increases our risk for heart attacks and strokes.
Enter my oven “fried” okra — a healthier take on truly fried okra that is surprisingly crispy and oh so tasty. Pair these guys with a satisfying kale salad topped with your favorite veggies and a lean protein. Or, keep it southern and have this okra alongside some shrimp and grits.
Oven Fried Okra with Honey Dijon Sauce
A healthier version of fried okra that’s breaded in panko breadcrumbs for a super crispy outer layer. These guys don’t do well reheated so eat them immediately and only make as much as you plan to eat.
- 20 pods okra
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a sheet pan with foil or parchment, or spray with olive oil spray.
- Crack eggs into a wide, shallow bowl and scramble. Add half the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place panko into another wide, shallow bowl and mix in the oregano and remaining salt and pepper.
- Dip each okra pod into the egg wash and then into the panko, rolling around to get every part coated. Place on sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix together the dijon, vinegar and honey and serve with okra when done.